Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Recent Sounds in my Studio...

Some recent favorites frequently heard in my studio... some are new albums this year, and some are old favorites that were rediscovered over the past several months.


I saw the Swell Season show in September and was completely blown away.... it is comprised of members of the Irish band the Frames and features Marketa Irglova and Glen Hansard (the couple in the movie Once). It was just awesome... Glen is passionate like no other musician I have ever seen perform. The above poster was screen printed by local artist Clinton Reno.

Camera Obscura "Let's Get Out of This Country"

Always a favorite... Neil Young's "Harvest"

Bell Orchestre "Recording a Tape the Color of Light"
I saw them play a couple years ago at the Wexner, and this album is always one that I go back to.

Fleet Foxes [self titled album]
I am still kicking myself for not going to see them play when they came to town. One of my favorite moments this summer was driving along the Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina when their song "Blue Ridge Mountains" came on the radio. It was no less than perfect.
Here's a photo I took on that drive to put it into context.

MGMT "Oracular Spectacular"

Wendy Sutter and Philip Glass "Songs and Poems for Solo Cello"

I've always been a huge fan of Philip Glass, so I am always on the look out for new recordings. My love for his music was reignited this spring when I was in Ann Arbor, Michigan on a trip to see the Dalai Lama speak. Philip Glass was a participant in a panel discussing Buddhism, philosophy, and how it influences creativity and art. I was pleased to find this album released this year. His compositions performed on cello...it doesn't get much better than this.


No comments: